Monday, August 03, 2009

Solar Cities eco-tour

Solar Cities eco-tour, when someone mentioned this on an online forum. I was like "What? Are you sure this is happening in Egypt? in Cairo? People in this city are harnessing solar energy? Are we talking about the same Cairo?"

She gave this site for reference: http://solarcities.blogspot.com and I was completely wowed just reading about the concept.

One of the founders was inspired by an "inner city eco-tourism" opportunity he got on a trip to Johannesburg in 2002. Global nomads T.H. Culhane and Sybille Culhane are now working on the Solar C3.I.T.I.E.S. mission: "Connecting Community Catalysts Integrating Technologies for Industrial Ecology Systems"

They brought solar power to some of the neediest neighbourhoods in Cairo and it has made a difference in the lives of the residents.

To read more about this story and sign up for your own tour, visit the blog http://solarcities.blogspot.com/ I know I hope to do this the next time I'm in Cairo.

2 comments:

Forest Parks said...

Absolutely awesome!! I am moving to Cairo for 2 years from Wednesday and I excited that something like this is happening!!

Hicham said...

This is very cheerful, Kim! Me too say "What" but nothing impossible!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis