Sunday, April 20, 2008

Egypt - International Driving License - IDP

Applicants for an Egyptian driver’s license must be at least l8 years old. A certificate from an Egyptian ophthalmologist and physician must be obtained to verify blood type, visual and physical health. These certificates along with a valid driver’s license from your home country, two photographs, and LE 55 should be taken to the Traffic Department at Attaba Square in Cairo or at Giza. All applicants are now being given an oral test on international road signs as well as a road test to certify driver’s capability. The applicant must provide his/her own vehicle for the test.

If an Egyptian driver’s license is lost, it must be reported to the nearest police station and a police report issued.

Per local law, all employees must carry third party personal liability insurance (for bodily injury) on vehicles operating in Egypt. This insurance is issued prior to the release of a vehicle from Customs and is renewed as part of the annual GOE vehicle registration procedure. It is valid for l3 months plus one day.

An endorsement must be made on this policy when plate numbers are changed in Cairo. A vehicle is not properly insured if the registration validity has lapsed. The current rates for minimum vehicle insurance varies from LE 80 to LE 100, depending on engine size.

Other insurance coverage, such as third party liability for material damage and comprehensive, is also available and optional. Third party liability insurance, however, should not be confused with the mandatory bodily injury insurance obtained during registration and licensing. Insurance may be obtained from any authorised insurance company in Egypt.

NOTE: Driver’s license, registration and insurance papers must be carried in your vehicle at all times.

The Traffic Department and the police strictly enforce speed limits throughout Egypt and, unless posted otherwise, speed limits are 60 kilometers in town and 90 kilometers out of town. The police utilises radar and motorcycle patrols on both the Desert and Delta Roads to Alexandria to enforce the law. If you are stopped, present your driver’s license to the officer and remain calm. You could receive a verbal warning or have your license confiscated. If the officer keeps your license, you will receive a receipt for it. Speeding is a serious offense in Egypt and carries fines of LE l00 or more for minor offenses.


Another friend of mine (American studying in Cairo)recommended: Get an IDP(International Drivers Permit) from the country that issued your original driver's license.

For the US, the AAA will issue it without you needing to be present, someone else can apply for the IDP for you. All you have to do is send this person some documents.

If getting your IDP in Egypt is a hassle, then I'd suggest you do it through someone back at home. To find out what docs you need, call the AAA in the states and ask them.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails